subtitle

A day in the life of a Fort Worth missionary. . . as posted by his parents

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Safe and Sound in Arlington, TX - May 20, 2013

Dear Mom and Dad,

Elder Russell and I are doing well. We did not experience the tornadoes in
Arlington.  Although we did have sirens go off, there were no problems here.
We were actually in the middle of a lesson when the sirens went off and the
lightning actually knocked out the power in the home as we were teaching.
There was some heavy rain and wind coming down around us but all those in
Arlington were safe. There were parts of the mission that were hit so the
missionaries will have the opportunity to help out with clean up projects.

Arlington is wonderful! It is very different from Highland Village but I
love it. It is very diversified here and there are so many people here. We
have talked to so many people already and have also met some very good
people too. It has been great serving with Elder Russell.  He is from Spanish
Fork, Utah and has been out 6 weeks less than me. I have already learned
a lot as his companion. One thing that I have learned is that we just need
to stop worrying about ourselves and just go out and serve others. Loose
ourselves in the work of the Lord.

I have not received the garments yet but I am sure they will be here soon.
I did get your letter mom. Thank you for sending it out to me. I have
actually been wanting to get that picture of my crazy suit. Ha ha. I
remember when I got that. It was the best 10 dollars ever spent.

This past week has been wonderful. I was reminded this week how gratefull I
am for the plan of salvation. As we were teaching a lady this week about the plan
of salvation, she received a call in the middle of the lesson and found out
that her father had just passed away. It was great to see how the gospel
brought her peace and how she knew he was okay.

I think of this scripture in 1 Peter 4:6 and how the gospel will be
preached to her father. I also think about this scripture as I think about
family history. I am grateful to know that our ancestors have the chance to
learn about the gospel in the spirit world and that we can still help them
to come closer to our Father in heaven even after this life.

 For for this cause was the gospel preached  also to them that are dead , that
they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.


I love y'all so much. Good luck with all the moving stuff and your classes
dad.

Love,

Elder Nathaniel Shoemaker

Here is a picture of Elder Russell and me and also the cowboy stadium.  This
building is air conditioned!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment