subtitle

A day in the life of a Fort Worth missionary. . . as posted by his parents

Monday, February 25, 2013

What's in a Name? ...A personal covenant


Dear Mom and Dad,
Well this past week was the fastest I have ever seen on my mission. Elder Davis is now in Canada and I found out from a member at church yesterday that he has already gone on a date. Ha ha,  I am not surprised. He was very outgoing and was very good at talking with people. Elder Hansen is now here in Lewisville with me.  I had actually met him before and he actually served with Elder Ericson. Elder Hansen is from Aramo Idaho and he has been in the mission field six week longer than me. He kind of grew up around farm stuff and he is definitely a great missionary. I have already grown spiritually as his companion.
This past week we were able to talk to so many people and work super hard. We got out on our bikes one day last week and it went great. We talked with all the people we saw outside and it felt amazing. The morning of the bike day we took, there was actually a thunderstorm during studies. I knew that we needed to be on bikes and prayed that things would get better. By the time we needed to get out, the sun was shining and there was not a cloud in sight the rest of the day! Also something this past week also just made the week. All of the zone leaders for our meeting on Friday went to the temple. I was so thrilled since I had only ever been once for my own endowments. It was such a spiritually refining experience and there was so much spiritual revelation as we were there. Following the trip,  President Sagers shared this scripture in Doctrine and covenants 109: 22-23 and taught about why we go to the temple before our missions -so we as servants may go for armed with power. Bishop Sintay actually showed me this before my mission and is was so great to hear it again.

 22 And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy aname may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine bangels have charge over them;
 23 And from this place they may bear exceedingly great and glorious tidings, in truth, unto the aends of the earth, that they may know that this is thy work, and that thou hast put forth thy hand, to fulfill that which thou hast spoken by the mouths of the prophets, concerning the last days.

I will be sure to keep those people in my prayers this week.

It is also exciting to hear about your sisters dinner and a possibility of a family reunion. I would love to go to that. Also, I hope that Justin does great in track.

I was wondering if y'all might be able to crack into the boxes I packed up and try to find my sunglasses. They will be super useful for this summer and help my eyes out a little better. Also, if Justin comes across anything that he may be able to really have a need for and maybe one or two shirts tell him to let me know what stuff and I will most likely say he can use it until I have a use for it again. 

I hope y'all have a wonderful week and I will make sure to do the same.
Love Elder Nathan Shoemaker
P.S. I realized why I had a desire to change to Nathan. In Alma the anti- Nephi -Lehies changed their name to remember the covenant/oath they made, so when I hear the name Nathan it will remind me of my opportunity I had to serve the Lord and how much I loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment