subtitle

A day in the life of a Fort Worth missionary. . . as posted by his parents

Monday, August 12, 2013

Understand the Purpose - Then you have the Power August 5th, 2013

Dear Dad and Mom,
 
I will be staying here in Arlington probably for another three months. Elder Young is my new companion and only has six weeks left so he will come here for his last transfer with me and I will then get another companion and be here 6 more weeks! (most likely) Elder Russell is going to serve in Killeen as a Zone Leader next to the area he was trained in. This last week we also have a third missionary with us - Elder Beckstrand. I will send a picture of us next week. Elder Beckstrand will be training a new missionary and we are very excited for him. I am sad that Elder Russell will be leaving but I know the Lord is in charge of where we go.
'
Jace, Collin, and Abigail Gormley were baptized and confirmed this last week! It was a wonderful baptismal service. Most of their family are members, so there were plenty of friends there to support and encourage them.
 
Thank you dad for all the house pictures. I really enjoy them and it makes me feel like I am part of the progress. I am astonished at how fast it has gone up and I am excited to see how the inside turns out. You can never send too many pictures. That is really cool that you got out on the mountain [Badger] so much this last month and I bet you were excited when you were able to get back into the water.
 
I am so excited for Jacob.  I cannot picture him anywhere else besides Argentina now. Tell him congratulations for me. He will do a great job and he will be a great spanish speaker.
 
Thank you dad for the scripture. One thing that stood out to me as I read what you said is that we must also enlist our Heavenly Fathers help too, through prayer.
 
We had a meeting with President Ames last week and I wanted to share it. He said "Live the rule till you understand the purpose. When you then understand the purpose you will have power" Some times the Lord requires us to do things we do not understand. If we do them though, we will find out the purpose and are promised power. This definitely applies to missionaries and I have seen the power that comes when we live and understand the rules.
 
Thank you mom and dad for expecting me to live a virtuous life.  It has really prepared me to be the Lord's missionary.
 
Love,
 
Elder Nathaniel Shoemaker

No comments:

Post a Comment