subtitle

A day in the life of a Fort Worth missionary. . . as posted by his parents

Monday, September 23, 2013

No point of being unhappy 9-23-13

Dear Mom and Dad,

I cannot explain how beautiful our new home looks. I love the picture of the sign out front that say this home is being built for the Shoemaker's. It just looks right! From the sounds of it, it sounds like those that have been working with us to get the home built are very sincere people. Being willing to change things as the building goes along and always being conscious of the comfort of those who will live in the home. I am very grateful to see that and that they are not just trying to sell us a house but build us a home. I am sure it is a blessing of y'all living the promise that is continually promised in the scriptures. Inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments, ye shall prosper in the land. I read about that in my studies this morning and I know that promise is still in effect in our lives today. We still may struggle once in a while but we will learn from those times and we will still prosper in a way. 

It sounds like Justin scored on getting a car. I can picture him driving that little white car around. Does it still have problems with loosing oil because I remember Mindy having troubles with it. Anyways tell Justin I am excited for the him and the opportunity he has to participate in Forte. I definitely want to learn more about singing and dancing. I bet he is getting to be a pretty good singer. You will have to send me a recording of a performance or him singing one of his favorite songs. I have really enjoyed singing myself and hearing others talents of singing too.

Elder Crandall is my new companion. He is from Springville, UT he is pretty cool. I have yet to look at him when he does not have a smile on his face. He enjoys working hard and does not see the point of being unhappy. It is so great and I am expecting it to rub off on me! We are in Arlington still and it really is starting to grow on me. It has started to cool down this week and it feels so goooooood! It has been in the high 60's and it is still suprising to walk outside and to have it not be hot! Here in the summer it would not get below 80 even at night. 

We had an amazing week and we are continuing to find those who are prepared for the gospel in their lives. I love serving here in Texas.  I could not imagine being anywhere else. This is the best mission in the world.

I want to end with a scripture I read this morning that reminds me of y'alls example in helping Micki around her hom.  It is in Mosiah chapter 2:12-17 

King Benjamin was a great example in providing service for others. He could have been a rightous king and be supported monetarily by the people but he didn't. He served them and loved them. He set an example and was an exemplary disciple of Christ


12 I say unto you that as I have been suffered to aspend my days in your service, even up to this time, and have not sought bgold nor silver nor any manner of riches of you;
 13 Neither have I suffered that ye should be confined in dungeons, nor that ye should make slaves one of another, nor that ye should murder, or plunder, or steal, or commit adultery; nor even have I suffered that ye should commit any manner of wickedness, and have taught you that ye should keep the commandments of the Lord, in all things which he hath commanded you—
 14 And even I, myself, have alabored with mine own bhands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be claden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne—and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.
 15 Yet, my brethren, I have not done these things that I mightaboast, neither do I tell these things that thereby I might accuse you; but I tell you these things that ye may know that I can answer a clear bconscience before God this day.
 16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.
 17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn awisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the bservice of your cfellowbeings ye are only in the service of your God.
Thank you mom and dad
Love,
 Elder Shoemaker



No comments:

Post a Comment