subtitle

A day in the life of a Fort Worth missionary. . . as posted by his parents

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Scriptures vs. Cell Phone - September 3rd, 2013

Dear Mom and Dad,

The progress on our new home is fantastic. It looks amazing and I am excited to hear about the special surprises that are coming as part of the process. I am very excited to see the completion. 

Elder Young is from Monticello Utah he is the youngest child in his family and he loves the work. I will include a picture today.

To answer the question about schooling.  I will wait to get home to work on the BYU application. I had a dream the other night about school and I was at CBC finishing my associates degree and then I will most likely transfer to BYU. Thank you dad for getting things lined up for that. My plans when I return are simple but I know they will be best for my spiritual and educational benefit. I will finish my associates degree at CBC by taking math classes along with others to prepare for a university. I plan to find a job and go out with the missionaries as often as occasion will permit  and of course spend time with my family and little bro!

Anyway, I am so excited for the time that I do have left here as a missionary and I am grateful for the letters of encouragement to help me remain focused on my calling as a missionary. Elder Young and I had a great week. We are still teaching a lot of people and are making focuses on finding others who are searching and looking for those who find not the truth because they know not where to find it. 

Bro. Rongey was at the sacrament table this week participating in the sacrament and his son Ellis was part of the passing of the sacrament. It was so cool to see and it is so amazing to watch their spiritual progression as a family. I love their family and it is so wonderful to be part of their lives! Our bishopric was changed this Sunday as the former bishops son is struggling with health issues and is in need of constant care. 

On  P-day we usually play basketball and volleyball.  Recently, we have not had to pick up other elders for P-day so this week we took some time to relax and take care of cleaning our apartment for inspections this week. 

Here is a quote that really stuck out to me about how important our scriptures should be to us.
  • What blessings can you receive from reading the Book of Mormon, the Bible, and other scriptures?

    Alex Boye answered...
    It is so easy to get caught up in the rat-race of life, and sometimes neglect that which really bring blessings to 'life' this little article has helped me greatly with my priorities.. THE CELLPHONE VS THE SCRIPTURES I wonder what would happen if we treated our scriptures like we treat our cell phones? What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets? What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it? What if we flipped through it several times a day? What if we spent an hour or more using it every day? What if we used it to receive messages? What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it? What if we gave it to other kids as gifts? What if we used it as we traveled? What if we used it in case of an emergency? This is something to make you go...."Hmmm..Dude.. where is my scriptures?" Unlike our cell phones: One Plan does fit all. Unlimited usage. No roaming charges. You always have reception. You can use it in the mountains and in a tunnel. It's free with no hidden costs, AND you don't ever have to worry your scriptures being disconnected because CHRIST has already paid the bill!
I love y'all and enjoy hearing from you every week.

Love Elder Nathaniel Shoemaker

No comments:

Post a Comment